12 Last Minute Valentine's Day Ideas That Aren't Cheesy
Considering the abundance of prepackaged romantic clichés, creative Valentine's Day ideas are surprisingly hard to come by. Where's that bout of creativity when we need it most? Well, to put an end to the frantic research binge of unique ideas for a love-filled day that tends to bubble up this time of year, we decided to put on our Cupid hats. The end result is a collection of 12 creative ideas that put the romance back in Valentine's Day. Even though it gets a bad rep for being cheesy, it has the potential to be really special.
So, ask yourself: are you someone who loves outdoorsy adventures? Or do you identify as a homebody? Maybe you're more of a foodie or a culture aficionado? Are you coupled up, casually dating or happily single? We made sure our list features activities that everyone can enjoy, regardless of the relationship status.
Here's how it'll work: Stick with one of the themes or mix and match the ideas to choose your own adventure and customize your date.
For The Homebodies
If cuddling up at home makes you happy, there's no reason you should have to sit through a long and packed dinner. That'll suck the romance right out of your date night. However, you should also make sure your evening in feels special. Here are our top three creative Valentine's Day ideas for homebodies:
1. Plan a movie marathon that comprises all your favorite films you've enjoyed together. If you aren't into the same genres, make a personal video of moments you've documented together.
2. Turn your home into a spa and pamper each other. Try downloading the app Soothe and have a massage therapist come to your house instead of having to go to the spa. It’s relaxation delivered to your door.
3. Create an at-home scavenger hunt where each clue is a nod to something you've shared together.
For The Adventure Seekers
Celebrate Valentine's Day with something that gets your blood pumping, whether that means heading outdoors, doing something active, or just getting your body moving. Here are our top three creative Valentine's Day ideas for adventure seekers:
1. Head to a lookout point and remember your layers if you live somewhere chilly. It is the middle of February, after all. Bring food for a picnic if you can brave the weather long enough to sit through a meal. You could also bring a telescope if the stars are out.
2. If you're open to doing something out of the ordinary, try going to an escape room. It's interactive and a little thrilling depending on the storyline. This also means that it's not for everyone, but it can be a hilarious experience.
3. Switch things up by renting a hotel room for the night; bonus points if it has a spa on site. If you feel like getting away but prefer roughing it, spend the weekend camping.
For The Culture Buffs
There are so many cool things you can do to make this night extra special while also exploring the local scene. Here are our top three creative Valentine's Day ideas for culture aficionados:
1. Do a tour of the best art exhibits or galleries in your area. Then, have some supplies waiting at home to start doing creative projects yourselves.
2. Organize a day of hopping around to the best restaurants, theaters, museums, and cafés that bring back memories you've created together. Shout-out to those of you who plan ahead and have a little gift waiting at each location.
3. Surprise your partner with tickets to a concert, speaker event series or comedy show you'll both enjoy.
For The Foodies
It's time to embrace each other while also embracing the literal cheese. Seriously, if you're genuinely excited about food, there's nothing cheesy about a food-centric evening. Here are our top three creative Valentine's Day ideas for foodies:
1. Organize a dessert hop to all your favorite spots, and order one thing at each place to share. Make sure you come hungry.
2. Spend the night making a meal from scratch together. Set the mood with good tunes.
3. Do whatever it takes to get a reservation at that new hot restaurant your significant other has been dying to try. If you can't get one, make it for a later date and print out the reservation confirmation so they know you tried, and then try to re-create one of the dishes at home.
So, no matter your style or relationship status, you can spend February 14 doing something creative and fun. Just reference this list and you're sure to find the inspiration you need.